Saturday, July 16, 2016

NES Classic Edition: The Game Nintendo Missed!

I'm working on my first Wander Over Yonder blog, don't you worry about that, but before that, there's something I want to talk about.  I'm a gamer at heart as well as a cartoon enthusiast, after all, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention something really cool that just happened!

Nintendo announced a few days ago that they'd be releasing something called the "NES Classic Edition", a console that you can plug into your TV and you can play up to 30 classic Nintendo Entertainment System games!  Learn more about it here:

 
I've seen a lot of people complaining about this news, or not interested, saying it's for kids or people who don't own a Wii U or 3DS.  Personally, I love this idea!  It's a great value for all of these games, especially considering how much some of these cost on the Nintendo eShop.  Besides, as long as there's a TV, you can just plug and play, and there are some REALLY good games in this collection, as well as some overlooked classic and obscure titles!  You can check the site for which titles that were included, but I, for one, think that there are enough popular games to draw people in, and also enough overlooked classics to hopefully introduce people to those classic games!

Besides, this is coming from a guy who got basically the same thing as a gift, only it was for Sega Genesis games!  Having all those games in one place is REALLY convenient, especially if there are games you could just play for hours!  I can only hope Nintendo does the same for SNES, that would REALLY be something!

...That being said, there are some games I were surprised weren't included in this collection, especially given the presence of other games...  I'm going to get into what kinds of games that weren't included that SHOULD be included in this...  Or something else?  Click the break to see what I mean.
 
So I was listening to a discussion from GameXplain, a group of gamers who review games and take a close look at games and game trailers for hidden details and Easter eggs.  In this particualr discussion, they talked about the NES Classic Edition, the selection of games, the emulation capabilities of the system, and what Nintendo might do with this concept in the future.  You can watch it here:


And that had me thinking... What if they released a SECOND NES Classic Edition? ...I mean, I doubt it'll sell as well, since all the big names are on this collection, but I still can't help but wonder...

Here are at least 30 games I think should be in a potential second "NES Classic Edition":

-Battletoads (if Nintendo can work something out with Microsoft and Rare)
-Dragon Warrior (the first Dragon Quest game)
-DuckTales (if they can work something out with Disney and Capcom)

I threw in some Zapper games, figuring this one can come with a peripheral that's like the original NES Zapper. Wouldn't that be a neat idea?

I'd say that's a solid line-up for a potential NES Classic Edition 2. What do you think? I mean, I tried to get as many well-known games in there as I could, while filling in stuff that was missing from the first NES Classic Edition, and putting in some more obscure games or games that deserve more recognition.

...Lastly, though, I want to bring up something. The NES Classic edition features StarTropics, which is awesome, but there's a part in the game that require that you dip a letter, that came with a physical copy of the game when it was originally released, into water, which revealed a code that was required to progress in the game... I wonder how that will work with this re-release...

Well, that's all I wanted to say, really.  I hope you agree with what I had to say, or at least inspired you to think about the concept and what Nintendo could do with it!  Thanks for reading, and once again, stay tuned for my Wander Over Yonder recaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment